Kennebec County Courthouse

The courtroom is part of an 1885 addition to the original structure and was probably remodeled in 1891. Its style is consistent with the period’s Renaissance Revival. After holding sessions in this room for nearly a century, the Maine Supreme Court moved to Portland in 1970, and the room was no longer used.

The courtroom was carefully cleaned and renovated, and a new glass entrance vestibule helps with visibility, security, and energy efficiency. The bench has been extended on each side to seat all seven justices. ADA handrails, ramps, braille signage, and other code requirements have been added for complete accessibility.

Up-to-date sprinkler, alarm, audio, data, and video systems were installed. Meeting and jury deliberation rooms behind the courtroom were refurbished and are now ADA accessible.

The buildings are connected by a glass bridge that provides access and security to the ceremonial courtroom. As the site slopes down considerably, the bridge attaches the second floor back of the Kennebec County Courthouse to the third floor of the new Capital Judicial Center. Members of the public go through security at the entrance to the new courthouse, go up to the third floor, and cross the bridge.