Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) -- Indianapolis, Indiana
CHA Construction Engineering Services (CES) provided full-time construction administration and inspection services for the reconstruction of two miles of West 38th Street between I-465 and I-65 in west-central Indianapolis. This $13.8 million project was completed over a period of two construction seasons. Notable and/or unique construction aspects on this project included:
- The bridge decks for the eastbound and westbound bridges over Guion Road and railroad tracks operated by CSX railroad were removed and replaced.
- Traffic signal heads were replaced with energy efficient LED indications.
- Traffic control reflected the needs to accommodate special events. Intermediate milestones were placed in the contract that required that all lanes were open to traffic for the Indianapolis 500 and Brickyard 400 races.
- Temporary asphalt pavement was placed at night to facilitate the maintenance of the traffic plan and to minimize disruption to the flow of traffic.
- Much of the existing storm sewer system was upgraded.
CHA’s inspectors worked with INDOT and the City of Indianapolis to accommodate the many businesses operating along the corridor. Regular interactive meetings were held that allowed the project team to provide information on upcoming construction activities and to incorporate the comments and concerns received into those future plans.
Services Provided by CHA:
- Construction Administration and Inspection